Before you started the keto diet you might have already known about some of the side effects, like fatigue, constipation, and nausea. But, potential hair loss may come as a surprise to you. For some people, hair loss is a real result of the Keto diet. Because the diet is a really restrictive low-carb but high-fat diet, the restrictive nature is what can lead to hair loss. If you’re not following keto in a careful way you can miss out on the important nutrients that fuel hair growth. Here are four possible reasons keto is causing hair loss.
- You Could Be Eating Too Few Calories on Keto-Because of the high fat intake, people generally are not as hungry and end up cutting calories.
- You Might Not Be Getting the Protein Your Body Needs- to keep your body in ketosis, at least on the standard keto diet, you must limit your protein intake.
- You Could Be Losing Weight Rapidly Due to Ketosis-the stress of losing weight quickly and cutting protein intake can contribute to what’s called telogen effluvium (TE).TE is when the hair shifts from the growing to the resting phase, ultimately leading to temporary hair loss.
- You’re Missing Out on Important Nutrients That Contribute to Healthy Hair- getting enough B vitamin biotin, which helps promotes healthy hair.
- How Can You Prevent Hair Loss on the Keto Diet?
To help prevent hair loss, taking a multivitamin will help with possible deficiencies and will help provide some nutrients,. Also, get the protein you need from high-quality foods such as eggs and poultry, and the biotin from foods like almonds, onions, tomatoes, walnuts, salmon, pumpkin seeds, and cashews. If you are looking to lose weight and are experiencing side effects from the keto diet remember that although it is a wonderful plan to follow but is not for everyone. There are other diets you can follow where you can lose weight and feel good doing it. The content in this article is not medical advice and is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Always talk to your doctor before changing your diet.
Our guest blogger Lynette McCutcheon is a mother of 3. She is also a Health and Weight Loss Coach Specialized in the Ketogenic Diet, Ketosis, and Intermittent Fasting. She is also the founder of her own coaching business, “Down By Linitas Way” which is a community that helps empower women through support and motivation. Her desire and goal are to help women live healthier lifestyles in hopes that others will be inspired to join the movement.